Saturday, February 2, 2013

Awesome handmade candle that you can do right now!

Before Christmas hubby was walking around the house muttering about making a candle, and I was looking at him like he was crazy. He's definitely never been interested in making candles since I've known him!

20 minutes later we had a wonderful smelling, super cute handmade candle!

Isn't this adorable? I have no idea where he originally found the directions, but you take a tangerine (you can probably do it with an orange), slice it in half through the skin, then very carefully extract the fruit. Leave the white stringy part (that runs between the fruit pieces) intact on the peel.

That's your wick. Very cool, huh?

Fill with oil of your choice (hubby used olive oil). He then tore a piece of the other half and made a top for it.

Now it glows!


I love this idea, and you almost always have the parts on hand. Try making them yourself!

2 comments:

  1. I spend so much money on scented candles because I love them but this is by far an amazing idea. I love it. Now I hope I can do it lol.
    Did he pull a piece of the white stringy part and center it i the candle or he just lit it before the addition of the oil ?
    Carol L
    Lucky4750 (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Thanks for checking in!

      If you pull out the fruit carefully the string is still attached to the center of the peel, so your wick is actually attached to the rind. Then he poured in oil and lit the wick.

      Delete